Helpful Hints

Helpful hints on entering the transportation industry. Before you begin classes there are a few items you must obtain.

We suggest that you go to your family physician, or a local walk in clinic and request a Department of Transportation physical.

Click HERE for help finding a Certified Medical Examiner.

If in fact your family physician does perform these physicals, the office will have all the paper work needed.  Upon completion, the medical office will send you away with a DOT Medical card to carry in your wallet, and a long form of the physical.

You will need to submit your DOT Medical information to the state for your CDL to be valid.

  1. You may bring it to any driver license office or
  2. You may fax it to 303-205-5709 or
  3. You may scan and e-mail to or
  4. You may mail it to:
Colorado Department of Revenue
Attn:  CDL Unit
PO Box 173350
Denver CO 80217-3350

Please keep the long form at home, with your personal records.  If it is requested from any trainer or prospective employer, give them a copy.  You should retain this form.

If your DOT medical expires You are no longer medically qualified to operate a commercial vehicle and your CDL is subject to cancellation. You must keep your DOT medical up-to-date (new exam every 2 years). If you do not have a current DOT medical, you will be required to downgrade your CDL to a regular license.

*If your CDL was canceled due to an expired DOT medical, the license will go back to valid after the Department of Revenue receives your current DOT medical information

Below is a list of medical conditions that may disqualify you from holding a CDL:

  • Poor vision
  • Diabetes requiring insulin
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Respiratory issues
  • Alcohol abuse
  • Drug use, including marijuana

This is not a complete list and they are  always taken on a case-by-case basis.  however each individual needs to check with their medical provider for a final decision.

You will also need to go to your local Department of Motor Vehicles and request the Commercial Driver Handbook.  Study for following written tests:  General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Combination Vehicles, (tractor trailer).  The handbook includes quizzes so that you can track your knowledge and determine when you are ready for the test.  On the day of your permit test, arrive with your current license and Department of Transportation Physical card.  Inform the DMV worker that you desire to take the written test for a Class A license.  Again, that is General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Combination Vehicle (tractor and trailer). This is your permit, you will need this written document in order to receive any behind the wheel training with an instructor.

While you are at the Department of Motor Vehicles, request a printout of your driving record.  The average fee for this is under $5.00.  Often when it is requested that you provide this document, it should be less than thirty days old.

While there is a set process to go through to obtain your Commercial Driver License, the tasks are small compared to the large pay offs that await you.

We are a State Certified Testing Site.

Call us to set up a time to test in the Denver Metro Area.  303-942-8002